Nashville Community High School was placed on security lock down for a short period of time last Wednesday morning.
According to a statement, the Nashville Police Department responded to the high school at 8:12 a.m. on Wednesday, August 14, to investigate a possible threat against the school.
When police arrived, the school was locked down for precautionary reasons to allow for an investigation of the alleged threat.
Shortly after, police and the administration lifted the lock down notice after the investigation determined that there was no immediate threat. Classes went on as scheduled starting at 8:27 a.m.
Superintendent Brad Turner said that the decision to lock down the school was a precaution and that no specific threat had been made.
“A student brought the information to us based upon that student’s interpretation of an interaction with another student,” said Turner. “We could not locate the student in question right away because classes had not started yet, so that is why we decided to lock down the school.”
Turner said that once the student was located, police were able to quickly determine that there was no threat posed to the school. That was why the lock down only lasted for about 15 minutes.
In the announcement that went out to parents, Nashville Community High School Principal Mark Begando said the lock down was a precaution in order “to secure the building and maintain the safety of the students and staff, while an investigation was conducted by school officials and the Nashville police department.”
Turner credited Nashville police with thoroughly investigating the matter quickly and professionally.
“The police followed up right away, and with less commotion in the halls from the lock down were able to insure the security of the school,” Turner said. “It was done with student and staff safety as the main concern, and in the end, no threat was made.”
The police statement indicated that officers remained on scene for several hours to investigate the incident and ensure the safety of the students.